Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Labor Day



Avalanche Creek

From R:

About 50 or 60 miles up the road is the largest freshwater lake west of the Mississippi, Flathead lake. We came up on it Monday morning in the cool crisp air that is already Fall here in Montana. The water is a deep turquoise, the mountains hem the lake all around, and you take one look at that lake and think, "Yeah, I might just walk on water".

Sadie couldn't resist and gave it try







We "camped" for the night up at Glacier N.P. - sort of, we found a cabin that was really small and efficient that was about what we would have paid combined for a tent site and to kennel the dog (and this way we could bring the dog). It was a little warmer than our last trip. We hiked up to Avalanche lake, which is a fairly gentle grade and short route, which makes it popular but it was definitely beautiful. The west side of the park is doused with a lot of rain and resembles the rainforests of the northwest. The tall cedars pines and hemlocks are shrouded in lichens and moss and look like green mammals.



Our anniversary is tomorrow, numero tres. Sarah is romancing me by taking a three hour sewing class and leaving me home w/ Taj to babysit. So we went out for dinner yesterday on our mini-vacay. We thought we would have to settle for a mom-and-pop steak house, but found a nice little place w/ locally sourced food that was really nice. Taj behaved himself while I colored in the kid menu. Taj also discovered condiments. I think he knew they existed before, but yesterday ketchup became the main event.


He noticed that everytime he picked up a french fry and it went directly from plate to mouth the taste was no where near as good as when the french fry made a detour through the red stuff. It wasn't long before he ditched the formality of the fry and was both hands-in, wrist deep in ketchup. Good thing about fine dining establishments in Montana is that we fit right in in our hiking clothes and diggin in our food. Thats how we roll out here.

Also, I have a confession. I'm ashamed to say it. I think it has to do with estrogen receptors. But I really like John Mayer's "Half of my Heart". And Sarah and I have been doing my haircuts for the last 3 months now, at 15 bucks a month or so I've saved 50 bucks, and only twice have I been ashamed to go out in public, and now that its September I can start growing my winter beard.




















No comments: